Sunday, September 12, 2010

home of the hawks

I am having a great time so far here in Uganda with Karin.  I spent my first week reading for classes, visiting UNICEF, UNOCHA, and over 8 NGOs, and helping to coach the Gulu Hawks: the basketball team here.

The Hawks are a professional team, playing in the national basketball league.  We practice outside on a poorly paved court, without nets, and with a crooked rim.  I am told there is only one indoor court in all of Uganda.  We practice three days a week, and then the players play pickup at least two other days.  But they don’t make any money on the team, so everyone has another job, or is studying at the University.

Practice has already been canceled once so far because of the rain, but the team has learned a new offense and is off in Kampala this last weekend for two games.  I can’t wait to hear how it went.  Of course, I have been playing a bit too, which is helping me get into shape!

Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment